House Rules and Expectations
Our mission is to provide a safe and clean environment for men and women to live, while guiding them toward building a solid foundation in recovery.
Section A – Facility
- Diving into the swimming pool is prohibited. While using the swimming pool, members should never be in the swimming pool alone.
- Smoking is not permitted inside the house. Contain smoking to the designated smoking area(s). Cigarette butts should always be discarded into the provided ash receptacles.
- Bedrooms and living areas should be kept in order at all times. Beds are to be made first thing in the morning, and personal belongings are to be stored in rooms neatly. Rooms are subject to inspection at any time.
- No food or open beverages are to be in bedrooms, at any time.
- Members are not to attempt to make any repairs to the house or property. If there is a maintenance problem, please inform the house manager ASAP so we can insure the issue is taken care of promptly.
- Do not use nails, push pins, etc. on the walls, floors, or other surfaces without prior consent.
- Incense, candles, halogen lamps, and any other flame hazard are prohibited.
- Several members will be sharing a single water heater. Please be considerate of the other members and don’t take extended showers.
- Doors are to be locked when leaving and entering the house. Always make sure the electronic lock functioned properly.
- Female guests are allowed in the common areas only. Females are not allowed in the bedrooms under any circumstance.
- For the first 30 days curfew is 10pm. After the initial 30-day period, you will have an individualized meeting with the House Manager to determine your probationary status and review the House Policies and Procedures. Once the probationary period is complete the curfew is midnight unless approved by management. IT IS THE MEMBERS RESPONSIBILITY TO SCHEDULE THIS MEETING.
** Rules and policies are subject to change at any time.
Section B – Disruptive Behavior
The following behaviors are grounds for immediate dismissal:
- Repeated tardiness to morning meditation
- Physical violence
- Verbal abuse of neighbors
- Destruction of house property
- Abusive/loud arguments
- Possession and/or use of narcotics, alcohol or weapons
- Sexual harassment or contact between members
- Continuous noncompliance to the rules
** Personal property will be held for 14 days upon dismissal or relapse. North Austin Sober Living is NOT responsible for your property if you relapse, or if your behavior results in dismissal from the house.
Section C – Recovery / Employment Expectations
- North Austin Sober Living is a 12-step based house. Upon admission, you have one week to find a sponsor. If you are having trouble finding a sponsor, management can put you in contact with someone available for sponsorship.
- A mandatory morning meditation will be held daily at 8AM for those who are not working. During this meditation we will read pages 60-63 and 86-88 out of the Big Book. If you would like to expand your personal morning meditation, feel free to do so afterward.
- Members must hold a service commitment.
- A minimum of 4 AA, NA or similar meetings per week is required. 90 meetings in 90 days are strongly encouraged.
- North Austin Sober Living is a working house. All members must maintain employment, be enrolled in school, or volunteer 30 hours per week.
- If you are on job search, you must provide the house manager proof that you are actively seeking employment on a daily basis (i.e. Business cards/Applications)
- While on job search, you must be out of the house actively seeking employment between 10AM and 2PM. If you have secured a job and are waiting to start working, you must be out of the house doing something positive from 10AM – 2PM.
- Members seeking employment in an environment that serves alcohol must receive approval by House Management.
- If a member is suspected of being under the influence of synthetic drugs that are not covered by our UDS test, the member must get lab testing at Quest Diagnostics or a similar lab. If the member’s test comes back positive he will be expelled from the house. *North Austin Sober Living does not profit off of this testing.
Section D – House Responsibilities
- Member must sign in and out on all columns of the whiteboard. The purpose is to communicate with fellow Members and Management your plans for the day. Consistent non-conformance will be addressed on a case-by-case basis.
- House cleaning and chores are assigned weekly. Members are expected to keep their assigned area clean and orderly. Chores should be marked off daily on the chore board. Repeated failure to complete chores/mark off on the board could result in extra duty. Members are expected to plan their time accordingly in order to complete their individually assigned chores.
Section E - Off Site Overnights
- No overnights will be allowed for anyone during the 30-day probationary period without prior approval by management, and the request needs to be made at least 24 hours in advance.
- All overnight stays off premises must be requested through the House management.
- Overnight stay requests must be received no later than 1pm on the requested date for members that are off the probation period.
- North Austin Sober Living has the right to communicate with the member’s family or referent before approving overnight passes.
- Overnights may not be accumulated. One overnight stay per week is allowed, unless pre-approved by House Management.
- Member’s accounts must be paid in full in order to be eligible for an overnight pass.
- Overnights are 24 hours, unless pre-approved by Management.
Section F - Medications
If a member is taking prescription medication, it is his responsibility to take the medication as prescribed. There is no sharing of medication between members. No narcotic medications are allowed. It is the member’s responsibility to inform management during the intake process of their medications. It is strongly suggested that the member follow up with an appropriate doctor to monitor their medication within 30 days of admission.
Section G - Termination of Membership
- A two-week notice and a thoroughly cleaned bedroom are required prior to moving out, in order to receive a security deposit refund.
- Any Member expelled for any reason will not be permitted to return to the premises as a Member for a minimum of 30 days. Expelled Member must have a clean urine test in order to return after 30 days.
- Prepaid monies and security deposits will not be returned to Member if expelled.
- We ask our members to make a three-month commitment to the community of North Austin Sober Living. If an early departure is requested, prepaid monies and security deposits will be returned only at the discretion of Management.